Moving your online store from Magento to Shopify is a process that involves planning and several steps. Here’s a guide to help you do it step by step with Web-Systems Solutions team of eCommerce experts.
- Backup your data.
Make sure to save all your Magento store data with complete backups of your files and database. This is vital in case anything goes wrong during the migration.
- Set up a Shopify store.
If you haven’t already, create a Shopify account and set up a Shopify online store, even if it’s with a temporary domain for now.
- Pick a migration Magento to Shopify tool.
Some popular options: LitExtension, Cart2Cart, or Shopify’s official Migration app. Choose a tool that can help you transfer data from CMS Magento to Shopify based on your needs and budget.
- Install the tool and follow the instructions.
Set it up by providing access details for both Magento and Shopify stores.
- Select what data to migrate from Magento.
Use the tool to specify the data you want to transfer, like products, customers, orders, and reviews. Ensure accurate data mapping between Magento and Shopify.
- Run a test migration to make sure everything works.
Most migration tools allow you to run a test migration to check if everything is working correctly. Fix any issues before proceeding.
- Do the full migration.
Once the test is successful, go ahead with the full migration. Avoid changes in your Magento store during this process to prevent data problems.
- Pick a Shopify theme that matches your style or hire Shopify developer to create a custom theme.
- Customize Shopify theme to reflect your branding, design preferences, and layout by adjusting styles, fonts, and layout elements.
- Configure Shopify store’s settings, covering aspects like payment methods, shipping choices, taxes, and email notifications. Make sure they align with your business needs.
> Payment and shipping configuration.
- Set up your payment gateways and shipping preferences in Shopify to match the current system you use. Verify that all your payment methods are compatible and correctly integrated.
- Move content.
If your Magento site has a blog or other content, move it to Shopify manually. Ensure that you maintain the formatting and images.
- Test the Shopify Store thoroughly.
Ensure everything works well, including product listings and the checkout process, on different devices and browsers. Test across various devices and browsers for smooth functionality.
- Redirect your domain.
Update your domain’s DNS settings to send visitors to your new Shopify store. This step might take some time, so please be patient.
- Set up 301 redirects from old Magento URLs to new Shopify URLs. Regularly check your SEO rankings to keep or improve your visibility on search engines.
- Have a plan to keep your SEO rankings during and after the migration. This means keeping your URLs and setting up 301 redirects to avoid losing search engine rankings.
How to identify the weaknesses in Shopify store and make improvements that boost online store conversion rate read here.
Congrats! You can launch the Shopify store officially.
Tell your customers about the change and give them any information they need about their accounts or your store’s changes.
Keep an eye on your Shopify store after the Magento to Shopify migration for any issues. Help your customers adjust to the changes.
- Regular review and update.
Regularly check your store’s performance and make SEO improvements when needed.
Migration from Magento to Shopify is a complex process. But with a good plan and some expert help, it gets easier. Follow these steps to make it smooth and avoid big disruptions to your online business.
Ready to make the move from Magento to Shopify? Contact us, and we’ll handle the migration for you!