Headless E-commerce: a new way to grow business online
The world of E-Commerce is constantly changing, supplemented by new solutions and opportunities. Looking at the evolution in this area, shoppers now want and need more flexibility when shopping online. They want to have complete control over when and how they buy: on the go, through their mobile phones, tablets, voice-controlled devices, or even through game consoles.
In this article we will talk about an interesting idea and a modern solution for business in e-commerce: “headless e-commerce”, “headless commerce” or “headless trade”. ✔ What is such a “headless approach” to building an online store? ✔ Why is the “headless” approach more effective for building an online store? ✔ How has the headless approach turned the foundations of e-commerce?
What is headless e-commerce?
The term headless e-commerce refers to the separate operation of the front-end and back-end parts of your software: website, online store, application, etc.
What do we really get?
Tools or even data are no longer in one place and are not stored. Certain basic data still remain on the back-end side: prices, sales, catalog. But product information management systems, CRMs, and even software to track inventory, orders, sales, and deliveries can no longer be integrated with the back-end. Thanks to the headless architecture, many business tasks can be delegated to independent software products. Thus, one part of the software is used to work with the front-end part, which refers to all those functions that are not directly related to the creation of content and its management, and the back-end part to work with functionality.
How does headless commerce work?
Let’s look at the example of an online store. Then, its internal back-end is the center and acts as the main body to which you can attach as many “heads”. “Heads” are the points of contact of customers, where sales and transactions take place, or even the systems you need, platforms with which you can seamlessly integrate. You can even connect several separate systems for employees, merchandisers, warehouse staff, etc. The headless e-commerce system works by transmitting requests between the front-end and back-end parts through web services or API calls.
How is headless e-commerce different from traditional e-commerce?
- Most traditional solutions provide very limited capabilities in terms of website layout and functionality.
- Any changes made require a lot of time to edit the database, code and front-end part.
- The external interface is closely integrated with the internal code and infrastructure. To make one correction or make improvements, developers need to edit several levels between the interface up to the back-end levels, which is hidden in the background.
- Because headless e-commerce separates front-end and back-end, it creates endless possibilities for customization, as and when needed. To make any changes, you only need the services of a front-end developer. Changes can be large or small, from implementing your own payment system to adding a new field to a customer’s account.
- Headless e-commerce can support new technologies as soon as they emerge. This is ideal for implementing new solutions for customers of your online store.
- Seamless integration. As we mentioned earlier, headless e-commerce is powered by an API that makes it easier to integrate and communicate with other platforms and gadgets. You can add your product to any new platform or device, expanding the capabilities and reaching more customers at the same time.
We do not recommend resorting to a headless approach to e-commerce beginners. If this is not a unique, custom situation, you are unlikely to need this approach for your first online store. Why? Because the headless architecture aims at very specific e-commerce goals that are constantly scalable.
When and who should turn to headless architecture?
- If you want to sell on platforms outside of your own original online store, headless allows you to place products and publish on many web platforms or devices.
- You want to easily update the front-end or back-end of your store. By keeping both parts of the website separate, the headless architecture will protect it from malfunctions and improve performance. If there is a problem with a service, such as search, it is easy to replace it with another. After all, it communicates with the back-end part through the API.
- If your online store is focused on sales in several countries. Each country has its own specifics of the market. Somewhere it is better to sell through social networks, somewhere through a website or mobile application, somewhere through a marketplace like Rozetka. Scaling an online store using headless e-commerce is much faster and easier. Globality and multichannel are the main reasons to change the business architecture to headless.
- With this online store architecture, you are free to use the platform or system you want for the front-end and the other that is more convenient for the back-end. CMS – to create and manage an online store, and a separate e-commerce platform to ensure its quality functionality.
Which CMS to choose for headless work with an online store?
To start with headless e-commerce, there are a number of platforms offering to drag data through the API, but the easiest way is working with CMS Shopify. Examples and benefits of Shopify can be found here.
When it is convenient for your customers to buy goods only through Instagram or through Prom.ua, Rozetka, OLX, forcing them to go to your site is not an easy battle. Instead of competing with these sales channels, you can join them and use as a good opportunity to get closer to your buyer. CMS Shopify makes it easy to integrate your online store with platforms such as eBay, OLX, etc.
Why is CMS Shopify the most effective solution for headless commerce?
- CMS Shopify users have everything they need for quick, reliable and easy online store management. In addition, they have access to an API, which in turn can provide product information to third-party systems.
- CMS Shopify can withstand such a load as simultaneous work between front-end and back-end levels and internal development between files on several sites.
- CMS Shopify allows you to perform quick updates on various platforms on which your business will be, without rebooting the system.
- This system is suitable for custom business solutions : allows you to create attractive showcases for both Internet platforms and mobile devices, allows you to connect tools and systems that use your business, such as ERP, PIM, CRM, allows you to use your own stack technologies so you can quickly implement a headless architecture using the tools of your choice.
- Also, you can integrate different payment systems, such as Amazon Pay, PayPal One Touch, Apple Pay, etc. without the need to integrate them each time you go to a new platform.
For more information about the projects we have developed on CMS Shopify see here.
The world’s https://web-systems.solutions/en/shopify/most innovative brands that use CMS Shopify for headless e-commerce.
Headless e-commerce is a new space for business growth and increased conversions.
A flexible and progressive approach to working with customers is vital for e-commerce businesses. As customers become more accustomed to browsing, searching and shopping through a variety of points of contact – from web resources, mobile applications to physical devices with artificial intelligence – outdated approaches and methods of e-commerce are a thing of the past. With headless e-commerce, you can protect your business and prepare it for a modern future. This feature will easily integrate with any business tool.
For more insight into that topic, we have filmes a video for you on our YouTube channel. Enjoy!